Thursday, October 11, 2007

We're back

Ok, so it took me a little while to figure out this blogging business. I gather the frequency of posts matters to you readers. I apologize. Clearly, I'm not fit to wear Gramsci's shirt.

Now, on to business. Yes, I'm still upset that Arsenal beat West Ham (as did Aston Villa), but I will remind you that West Ham were the only club to do the double over both Man U and the Arse last season - all that and 29 points from the other 34 fixtures, you can't help but be impressed.

My brother Antonio will be pleased to know that I can admit a grudging admiration for Arsenal. Wenger may only ever say the same six things in his press conferences (there is a great spirit in the team, etc) but he has a brilliant eye for young talent. And as these billionaires of dubious extraction try to buy the Premier league title, there's something to be said for doing things on a budget. As a West Ham supporter I had decidedly mixed feelings when a billionaire Icelandic biscuit baron took over the club. Sure, it's great to avoid relegation, but just look at the curse that Tevez and Mascherano have brought to Upton Park. Virtually every player bought since has gone down to injury. But let's pretend they hadn't - let's say West Ham went on to win the title, like Chelsea did under Abramovich. Something would be wrong with the universe, and I'm not sure I'd like it. I'd prefer an honourable struggle to achieve mid-table obscurity than to be a Chelsea supporter. Now you've got Usmanov threatening to make Arsenal the new Chelsea. It'll be a sad day when Arsene Wenger is forced to spend truckloads of money.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cam said...

Hey, Giuseppe, why don't you leave Mascherano out of this?!?!?!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home